Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Rebounding From Failure – My Story

This post is a little more personal. I have been reflecting a lot on what has happened to me in the past year and what that means for my present and future. I decided to share this in the hopes that it will encourage and help someone else.

As many of you know the remodeling business that I founded in 2003, Home Innovations, failed this past January. The months before and after that were some of the most difficult I have ever experienced. It was not a pretty picture.

Through my years in construction, those I worked and did business with had become friends. I watched as those friends lost jobs, lost work, lost money, and in some cases lost the opportunity to make a living from something they really loved. And, in the midst of that I watched my wife and kids struggle to adjust to financial hardship.

At the time it felt like I was losing everything. Today I would not say that. Did I lose a lot of money and things that were dear to me? Yes, but God has looked out for us, and I have been blessed in many ways. As, time went by my biggest struggles were the sense of failure, the feelings of letting everybody down, and journey to find my identity again. So much of my energy and skills were poured into Home Innovations, and so many of my relationships centered around the business it was very difficult to know where to go next when that came crashing down.

As, I have walked this journey a number of things have been key to my healing.
  • My relationship with God was the only place I could turn many times. I was hurt and angry both at myself and Him, but He loved me anyway and helped me through.
  • My close friends and family never left me. Even though my phone doesn't ring all day long anymore there have been many who have supported us through this.
  • I have realized once again that my identity cannot come from what I do. It must come from inside of me and the understanding that I am valuable because God created me in his image and not because of anything I can produce.
  • My attitude is crucial. This takes constant work. Some days a good attitude comes easy and some days it doesn't. But, I have a choice about what I think, what I speak, and how I act.

This is still a process for me. I loved what I did in construction and business through Home Innovations. Today, I don't do those same things anymore. However, I have the opportunity to help others with their businesses and encourage those that are struggling through my roles as a Social Media Manager and a Pastor. For that, I am very thankful and I am trusting that each day God will bring across my path the people that He wants me to help and encourage.



No comments:

Post a Comment